Boron Neutron Capture Therapy (BNCT)
The principle of BNCT includes:
- Injecting the treated patient with 10B isotope compound (e. g. 10B-BPA), which accumulates in the tumor.
- Subjecting the patient´s tissue to a thermal neutron beam, which after collision with 10B atom produces radiation, that selectively eliminates the cancer cells, while sparing the normal tissue.
Potential use in non-surgery therapy of: malignant head/neck tumors, glioblastomas, melanomas, liver metastases, colon cancer, anaplastic astrocytoma
Clinical studies proceeding or already completed in: Japan, U. S. A. , Finland, Germany, Canada, Sweden, Netherlands, Argentina, Taiwan, China ( https: //clinicaltrials. gov )
cGMP BPA – commercial product of Interpharma Praha
One of the most extensively studied 10B carrier used by BNCT is 4-10B-Borono-L-Phenylalanine (BPA).
10B enriched 4-Borono-L-Phenylalanine (CAS: 80994-59-8)
BPA is produced at IPP by its own novel effective process under cGMP with provided 3 years shelf-life.
In worldwide, more than 100 patients already treated by Interpharma’s BPA.
cGMP BSH – under development by Interpharma Praha
BSH is one of the only two 10B carriers used clinically today, besides BPA.
10B enriched sodium borocaptate - BSH, (CAS: 12448-24-7), disodium undecahydro-12-mercapto-10B12-dodecaborate
4-Borono-2-19F-fluoro-phenylalanine, racemic (19F-BPA)
Interpharma can provide lab scale amounts of a racemic, non-radioactive 19F-BPA, with a natural boron and a stable fluorine isotope (19F).
Custom synthesis of other 10B compounds
Thanks to over 18 years of experience with 10B enriched BPA, Interpharma Praha can offer custom synthesis of 10B enriched boronic compounds in small quantities and later also under cGMP in larger commercial quantities.
- What is BNCT? (Japanese Society of Neutron Capture Therapy): http://www.jsnct.jp/e/about_nct/index.html
- A realistic appraisal of boron neutron capture therapy as a cancer treatment modality (Cancer Commun, Lond, 2018): https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29914575
- Boron neutron capture therapy for glioblastoma multiforme using p-boronophenylalanine and epithermal neutrons: trial design and early clinical results (U. S. A, 1997): https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9151231/
- Boron neutron capture therapy (BNCT) for glioblastoma multiforme: a phase II study evaluating a prolonged high-dose of boronophenylalanine (BPA), (Sweden, 2008): https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18336940/
- BNCT for skin melanoma in extremities: updated Argentine clinical results (Argentina, 2009): https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19375342/
- Boron neutron capture therapy in the treatment of locally recurred head-and-neck cancer: final analysis of a phase I/II trial (Finland, 2012): https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21300462/
- Accelerator-based BNCT for patients with recurrent glioblastoma: a multicenter phase II study (Japan, 2021): https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34151269/
- 4-Borono-2-18F-fluoro-l-phenylalanine PET for boron neutron capture therapy-oriented diagnosis: overview of a quarter century of research: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30820862/
- In vivo 19F MRI and 19F MRS of 19F-labelled boronophenylalanine-fructose complex on a C6 rat glioma model to optimize boron neutron capture therapy (BNCT): https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19001698/